Chicken and Egg Bowl (Oyakodon)
Oyakodon means parent-and-child donburi because its main ingredients are chicken and eggs. Simmer all ingredients in soup with soy sauce and dashi. One more simple step – sauté the chicken skin for an extra layer of flavour.
|Prep time||10 mins|
|Cooking time||10 mins|
Ingredients (2 servings)
|Chicken thighs with skin (boneless)||2|
|Dashi stock||3/4 tsp|
|Soy sauce||1 tbsp|
* Need to be served with rice. Please cook the rice first.
- Cook rice.
- Chicken thighs: Remove excess chicken skin and blood vessels. The fascia is cut to reduce meat shrinkage. Marinate with salt and ground white pepper/cooking wine.
- Spring Onion: Cut diagonally. A small amount of green parts can be cut into spring onion rings for decoration.
- Eggs: Lightly beat.
- (Medium-high heat) Fry the chicken skin side down until golden brown.
- After the chicken skin is fried until golden brown, cut the chicken into large dice.
- (Medium-high heat) Add water to the frying pan and add the dashi stock after the water boils.
- (Medium-high heat) Add mirin, soy sauce and spring onion.
- (Medium-high heat) Put the chicken back into the pan and meat side down.
- (Medium-high heat) When the chicken is almost cooked, add the beaten egg.
- (Medium heat) Lightly stir the egg.