Egg fried rice (Chahan)
Commonly found in Chinese restaurants in Japan. This fried rice is full of tangy sauteed garlic and spring onion flavours. You can match with different meat or seafood as you like. A quick and easy meal that can be cooked in one pan.
|Prep time||5 mins|
|Cooking time||10 mins|
Ingredients (1 serving)
|Raw king prawns||8 – 10|
|Garlic||2 – 3 cloves|
|Vegetable oil (for saute garlic & spring onion)||1.5 tbsp|
|Soy sauce||1 tsp|
- Cook rice. (It is best to cook with overnight rice. Cook a little more rice the night before and store it in the fridge.)
- Finely chop the garlic and the white part of the spring onion.
- Chop the green part of the spring onion.
- Beat the egg.
- (Medium heat) Saute chopped garlic and spring onion in vegetable oil.
- Fry the prawns until half cooked.
- (Medium-high heat) Add the cooked rice and stir fry.
- Add the seasoning (soy sauce and sugar) and continue to stir fry.
- Put the fried rice aside and then scramble the egg.
- Mix the eggs with the fried rice.
- Turn off the fire. Add chopped spring onion (the green part) and toss.